The Magic of Soup for Weight-loss

Did you know that the same amount of meat and vegetables blended into a soup with water and a little seasoning will keep you satisfied and full longer than if you had eaten them as solids and drank the water separately?

IMG_1518

Not only is soup great for a filling meal, you tend to eat less calories when doing so. This particular soup is not blended, but is a very satisfying meal that is not eaten quickly. I use chop sticks with mine so i eat a little slower than i would with a fork. Later i used a spoon for the stock. By then the stock has huge flavour from the vegetables. A blended version of something like this would create more of an emulsion of suspended food in the water. When this enters your stomach, it takes a lot longer for it to filter through your stomach than if you had simply drank the water on its own and eaten the food whole. The soup emulsion held in the stomach triggers the full sensation quicker than solid food. Scientific fact; and one you should take advantage of if you’re wanting to lose weight!

I often used to make soups like this with half a twine of asian vermicelli rice noodles. Instead, i am using a Paleo guide to my food for this program so i can lean up. This version is simply full of vegetables and plain roasted chicken breast. The dish uses Massel chicken stock to taste, about a tablespoon of Tamari wheat free sauce and jug boiled water directly in the dish. I threw directly into this these things:

• 1/2 a carrot
  • 1/2 a zucchini
  • 4 small mushrooms sliced
  • 3 cut florets of broccoli
  • 1/2 a sliced red onion
  • 3 half cut brussel sprouts

These sat for while in the boiled water and stock till i prep’d my chicken and popped things away. I then added 150 grams of ripped chicken and microwaved this large bowl for another 1-2 minutes. It depends on the size and volume of water used. My wife’s dish used a few less ingredients and about 130 grams of chicken.

This particular version worked out at about 300 calories. My wife’s version was about 220. She loved it and really enjoys this kind of soup more than blended because she said the veggies always feel very fresh and crisp as opposed to overcooked. We did this low calorie version because we were on our low calorie day. You can add a tablespoon of olive oil to this or even sesame oil which is often nice to bring up the fat content. Or even use some of the roasted chicken skin!

Try doing some blended versions. Not too much; or even finely chopped instead of chunky to experiment and test the theory yourself! I finished this soup off with a fair amount of cracked black pepper but you can get creative with parsley too no doubt. No salt! If you like a little asian heat, a dollop of Peri-Peri or even Tabasco works too.

Good eating!

Dean

Advertisements

About deanco

I run several businesses with my wife, who i love dearly. We commute around Australia and New Zealand for work. I enjoy design, wine, cooking, fitness, electronics.. and adore our 15 year old beagle.
This entry was posted in Cooking, Dieting, Eating, Fitness, Food, Health, Lifestyle, weight loss and tagged , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

11 Responses to The Magic of Soup for Weight-loss

1. great recipe, looks delicious and so nutritious πŸ™‚

2. Vinny Grette says:

I’ve recently discovered the magic of soup, too. So satisfying and good for you! Yours looks tasty!

3. deanco says:

Thanks Vinny, glad you enjoyed it.

4. Vinny Grette says:

I’ve had really good success with the 17-day diet and have written up some of the key points in a light-hearted way (pun intended) :). This post is the intro and it carries all the pertinent links, if you’re interested – http://cookupastory.wordpress.com/2013/01/29/the-17-day-diet-starring-dr-mike-morano/

5. deanco says:

Thanks Vinny I’ll have a nosey. I’m actually not a weightloss candidate as such. I designed my own program to try so I had some experience with knowing how it feels. I did it to encourage those struggling to learn more about food so they were more aware and armed. The process has been enlightening. Thanks for your feedback.

6. Vinny Grette says:

I DO remember you writing about that experience! I seem to also remember you were/are a very fit kind of person. We need lots more people like you πŸ™‚

7. deanco says:

Yes quite fit i think and for my age even more so. I’m not some gym junky though. I worry for others. I think i was lucky with my upbringing, it educated me. This to me is the defining problem with those who struggle. They are not armed well; their toolbox is lacking tools. Thank you for your nice comments Vinny πŸ™‚

8. Vinny Grette says:

I agree with you about the source of the problem. My own blog grew out of wanting to fill a gap in kids’ education. I’m trying to write about the basic concepts of nutrition in a fun way that entertains while it educates. My idea was that if I could entertain the kids I might reach the parents while I’m at it!

9. deanco says:

Yes i saw that, good stuff. Keep at it, we need more people like you too πŸ™‚

10. annieseddon says:

Thanks for checking out my blog! Great post! I love soup! Especially in the cooler winter months. I will even have it for breakfast. It’s a great way to start the day.